Friday, February 19, 2010

Feb. 19: Taylor's Ticket Tour - Day 2


DAY 2

It started off with a simple meeting. I was heading south to Carman to visit with John Barrett and Les Evinger at Northland Machinery.

It turned out to be a whirlwind tour of a wonderful little Manitoba town.

Now, Northland Machinery has a couple of terrific new lines of golf cars and motorized scooters, but so far, nobody knows they exist. Les, the sales manager, and I had exchanged a few e-mails and talked briefly about setting up a display on the promenade at Canwest Park before a dozen or so Goldeyes games this summer. But now, it was time to go to Carman, meet the boss and take a look at the goods.

So on Day 2 of our 2010 Ticket Tour, we climbed into the Hyundai (“I love my car...”) and headed past the Perimeter Highway, to beautiful downtown Carman.

It was a tremendous trip.

We spent 40 minutes with Les and his boss John, had a tour of the plant, checked out the Hummer and Escalade golf cars and talked Goldeyes, golf and, believe it or not, motorized scooters. I think this will be the start of a long relationship.

From Northland Machinery, we went downtown to visit with Claude Robidoux at Janzen Motors and Claude made a great comment: “I love Goldeyes baseball because I can afford to take all the kids and grandkids.” Indeed. If you’re looking for a GM Product, head out to Carman and talk to Claude.

After leaving Janzen’s, we stopped in at Lee Construction and had a nice chat with a very busy Heidi Sandulak and then we popped into the Carman Inn and got a lesson in salesmanship from the young women in the restaurant. “We need to talk to Vic (the boss, I assume),” said one of the ladies. “We deserve a night in a Skysuite.” I agreed and suggested they have a good sit-down with Vic.

At this stage, I’d almost run out of the sales packages I brought, but had enough to stop in at Carm Auto & Ag Parts to leave one with owner/manager Bob Friesen and then make another stop at Carman Ford to leave one with general manager Jim Hay. Had a nice chat with the employees at both places and it’s nice to know that the Goldeyes are loved in a town that, for the longest time, cheered for the Carman Goldeyes.

On the way home, I had to make one more stop. There was no sense going out to Pembina Highway without stopping in at the Pembina Hotel to talk tickets and the UFC 110 with our old pal Trevor Druxman.

Trev mentioned he used to be a season ticket holder and I suggested he might want to re-visit that status. We’ll talk again soon.

All in all, Day 2 of the Ticket Tour was a rousing success. I’ll be heading back to southern Manitoba real soon.

No comments: