Friday, February 19, 2010

Feb. 19: Taylor's Ticket Tour - Day 3


DAY 3

It started out like a normal Thursday. In the end, it was a crazy day.

Day 3 of my 2010 Goldeyes Ticket Tour started with a regular client meeting with Gord Tumilson from King’s Transfer and ended in a chat with a wonderful woman named Linda Desmarais at the Manitoba Metis Federation, who put in an order for some underprivileged kids.

The meeting with Gordie was great. King’s Transfer is sponsoring the Opening Pitch at the ballpark this summer and we just wanted to go over some of the details. Part of King’s Transfer’s package involves tickets and we deeply appreciate the company’s partnership. And you won’t find anyone better in the city with whom to deal.

From there, I stopped in at my barber shop for a couple of reasons (yes, I do get a haircut and, maybe, just maybe, my barber will suddenly get interested in baseball). Enzo Zaurrini is a soccer man, through and through. In fact, he has this love affair with the entire Serie A, but this morning I thought I might appeal to his adventuresome side.

“Enzo, how about some baseball tickets,” I said.

“It’s OK, but you can take my business card and put it in your draw.”

Oh yeah, when I stop at these Manitoba businesses, I make sure I grab a business card and get it into a draw for a beautiful Roman Swiderek framed print. Enzo liked the print. I’m not sure he likes baseball. Yet.

At lunch time, I sat down with Brendan Rogers, the former Bomber linebacker, who became a very successful financial advisor for RBC Dominion Securities. We talked football and baseball and I got the sense he might buy a mini-pack or two.

Then, late in the afternoon, I went over to the Manitoba Metis Federation and spent a few minutes with my new friend Linda Desmarais. Linda was going to pass on our ticket offer to the shot callers at the MMF, but in the meantime, she was thinking about some North End kids who loved going to Goldeyes games, but didn’t always have the five bucks necessary for a ticket.

I told her that’s the reason we have the Community Zone. Tremendous business people in Winnipeg buy a row or half-a-row of tickets for the entire season and our assistant GM Regan Katz and his right-hand man, Paul Duque, make sure those tickets get to the people who need a free ticket.

Linda was going to give Paul a call and I figured I just had a pretty good day.

No comments: