Thursday, March 12, 2009

From the Desk of the GM - Mar. 12, 2009

“(Half) Marathon Man”

It was about this time three years ago that I decided I would try and run the Winnipeg Police Service Half Marathon in late April of 2006. I trained for it, probably not as much as I should have, but I did train. I ended up finishing the race with a time that I was very pleased with. When I finished, I told my wife, my Mom and Dad and just about anyone else within earshot, that I would never do that again. It was something I wanted to cross off my “life list” or what has more recently been popularized as a “bucket list”, and since I had now completed it, I didn’t feel there was a need to do it again.

Well, as usual, my memory is very short and last week, I decided I would give it another go. I started training regularly on February 16 and have been running three or four times a week. After filling out the on-line form I began soliciting pledges from family, friends, colleagues, friends of the Goldeyes, etc. It quickly began to sink in that I was now committed to doing this. People have pledged their hard earned money to the Canadian Cancer Society with the expectation that I not only participate in the run, but actually finish the race!

You may be saying to yourself, “what’s the big deal, it’s only 21 km, that should be no problem!” and you’d be right. However, for those who know me, know that I’m not the healthiest of people out there. I like burgers, fries and gravy, and just about anything that can be deep-fried. I’ve also been known to have a cigar now and then and there have been very few times in my adult life I’ve turned down a frosty beverage (BTW, I’m not encouraging the use of these products, I’m simply painting the picture). Well, continuing to eat three McDonald’s double cheeseburgers while driving from one meeting to another or enjoying the aforementioned vices, and training to run a half-marathon don’t go very well together. I am certainly not foolish enough to say I will be giving any of these things up, but for the next two months, they will be kept to a minimum.

The run is in support of the Canadian Cancer Society. I am currently collecting pledges for the run. If you are interested in donating to this very worthwhile cause, please click here to do so (Editor's Note: if the link isn't working -- probably because of all the people making pledges -- please try again later in the day). I would like to thank all those who have supported the Canadian Cancer Society by pledging me so far and thank you to those who might do so in the future.

One parting note…Only 71 days remaining until opening day, 46 days until players start arriving, 51 days until the Annual Open House and only 60 days until our first exhibition game against the St. Paul Saints.

Next blog – “Meet the Staff”

Until next time…

-- Andrew

No comments: