Thursday, March 5, 2009

Clubhouse Blog - Mar. 5, 2009

"Open Season"

One of the first signs that winter is soon to be over is that spring training highlights are constantly on ESPN. With that being said we had our first major snow storm here in Maryland. I woke up to a 6 inch dumping Monday and most of the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area received around 8 to 12 inches.

Things are starting to get real busy for me with the baseball season fast approaching. This winter was a strange one with the lack of release transactions from affiliated baseball teams. There are not as many free agent players available to us Indy ball managers as in years past, meaning fewer phone calls and even fewer signings.

For me that usually means extreme anxiety. Just knowing the countdown to opening day is on and not having as many players in place as I have had in years past can make me a little crazy at times. I often tell myself there will be ton of talented baseball players that will get released in spring training that will be interested in continuing their careers. Just one problem with that, every other independent club is in the same situation as I am and we will be competing against each other for their services. Tom and Rudy have been a great help to me as always as has Andrew and Jonathan. Stay tuned, it should be a very interesting March and April for the transaction wires in each independent league.

During the winter I have been fortunate enough to coach basketball at the recreation level. I have to tell you some days it’s more difficult than managing the Goldeyes! Christopher’s basketball season came to a close this weekend with a first round loss in the playoffs. I told the kids they lost because of poor coaching. David will be playing in the 12U league championship this coming Saturday against a very strong team from Thurmont, Maryland. I can’t wait. Rebekah is keeping busy with her dance classes and sweet little Erik is busy being a stinker. Erika joined the work force for the first time in 8 years. I’m so proud of her.

That’s all I have for now. My phone is ringing and I need to close this deal on a future Goldeyes player. Wish me luck!

-- Rick Forney

No comments: