Wednesday, October 28, 2009

From the Desk of the GM - October 28, 2009

"Wednesday Mailbag"

Here's a note I received from the PA voice of the Goldeyes, Ron Arnst, with his take on this year's World Series and instant replay in baseball:

I don’t know who to cheer for in the World Series. Cheering for the Yankees and Pay-Roid doesn’t sit well with me. I would cheer for the Phillies but they sent Coste to Houston so they are off the list. Besides they beat Sherrill. Boo on them. So I guess I will cheer for the umpires. It appears they need the help.

On that topic (umpires and replay), I believe it is inevitable. The baseball traditionalist in me is not in favour of it – but you can’t ignore the future. My argument against replay technology and “challenges” is based on watching a few games over my life. How many times have you seen a player complain intensely about a ball-and-strike call and then swing at a pitch 2 feet outside or in the dirt? I think one of the things that keeps baseball apart – and I believe elevates it above other pro sports – is its long history, tradition and unrelenting reliance on the human factor. For better or for worse. Baseball is about stories. Reduce the human element and you will reduce the quantity and the quality of the stories. Let ‘em play, I say.

However, I believe replay will come to baseball sooner rather than later. If it has to come, I agree that a limited number of challenges (one per game is good) sounds like the best way to go. To help offset the time lost while we all wait around for a challenge to be decided, I suggest a couple of other changes. I believe we should also limit the number of times a batter can step out of the box to one per at bat and I believe we should limit the number of visits to the mound by the catcher or other players to one per inning. This would not include visits made by the manager or pitching coach. I see no entertainment value in watching a hitter adjust his gloves, sweatbands, cap, shirt, pants, socks and rebalance his investment portfolio after every pitch. I also don’t get a huge kick out of watching a mound meeting three times per half inning. Call me crazy but I think baseball would be better with less posturing and more playing. - Ron Arnst


For up to the minute information about the Goldeyes, check us out on Twitter.

GoldeyesGM on Twitter
Winnipeg Goldeyes on Twitter

Until next time…

No comments: