Friday, July 24, 2009

From the Desk of the GM - July 24, 2009

"Favourite Goldeyes Memory"

I've been with the Goldeyes almost since day one in 1994. I joined the team about 10 games into the season that year. Using some quick math, I think I've seen over 700 home games during the last 15+ seasons. There have been so many great memories at both Winnipeg Stadium and Canwest Park, it's hard to pick one that would be at the top of the list for my favourite.

This past Tuesday, July 21 would certainly be in the top 5. The jersey retirement ceremony for Donnie Smith was an event I will remember for a long time. This night wasn't just about retiring the number of one of the best pitchers in Goldeyes and Northern League history, it was more than that. It was a night to celebrate what Donnie went through just to be able to walk out on field to take part in the festivities. Many readers of this blog know all about Donnie's health problems and the very scary moments that occurred at St. Boniface Hospital during the spring.

Seeing Donnie, his wife Tara and sons Tyler and Colson on the field that night and the joy on their faces when the curtain dropped uncovering the "SMITH 21" sign in left field, was something I won't soon forget.

Judging by the lineup for autographs, which lasted the entire game, Donnie still has a lot of fans in Winnipeg. Even with five skysuites full of friends and family waiting to visit with him during the game, he not only signed autographs for the first three innings, he came back to the concourse and signed for another three innings after his tv and radio interviews were finished in the sixth.


The entire ceremony went off without a hitch, from the Goldeyes players and baseball buddies all wearing Smith t-shirts, to the presentations of the framed jersey from Scott Neiles and Rick Forney to the presentation of a Goldeyes ring and Community Service award from Sam Katz.


Now that I've shared one of my favourite memories, I'd like to hear yours. Send me a note at andrew@goldeyes.com and I'll post some of them in my next blog. Please let me know if you would like your name posted along with your note.

For up to the minute information about the Goldeyes, check us out on Twitter.

GoldeyesGM on Twitter
Winnipeg Goldeyes on Twitter

Until next time…

No comments: