Thursday, April 9, 2009

Radio Guy's Blog - Apr. 9, 2009

"Another Go"

I see the Can-Am Baseball League is down to six teams this coming season, the same number as the Northern League. Once again, a franchise in Ottawa failed to make it. It might be time for the two leagues to look at least playing an all-star game against each other. Hello Clark Griffith. Hello Miles Wolff.

Not surprising, the Japanese rallied from tournament elimination to win its second straight World Baseball Classic. The final against Korea was epic and I have really developed an appreciation for Asian baseball. They run, slap the ball around, steal bases, play fundamental defence and don’t sit around waiting for the three-run homer. Perhaps, we in North American should reexamine how we teach and play “America’s pastime?”

What is the worst sports city in Canada? Without a doubt, it’s Victoria! And if you don’t believe me, ask the Jennifer Jones rink if they enjoyed playing the Scottie in front of what amounted to crowds just slightly larger than what would show up at the St. Vital Curling Club for a weekend ‘spiel. And that was with a BC rink nearly going wire-to-wire to win the event.

Let the record show, that regardless of politics, I support our military troops in whatever country or region of the world they are deployed. In fact, I first put a yellow ribbon on my vehicle signifying my support back in 2002. I tell you this because last week I received another of the zillion chain-letter emails I get weekly. This one was about the military and if I didn’t continue the chain I was a bad guy, anti-military or would have bad luck follow me. So, what did I do? I deleted it, of course! However, I have bought a Canadian soldier a beer in a restaurant in the past or thanked them personally at the supermarket. That's how I choose to support our Canadian troops.

I have to admit to snickering at times regarding all the negativity around the NHL and its struggles in certain American markets. The possibility of having more Canadian teams in the league – including one in our burgh again – is certainly intriguing and more of a possibility everyday. But my glee comes from the fact that if a team returned to Winnipeg I would no longer be subjected to watching only the Oilers and Flames on Sportsnet West. This, of course, while the Canucks, Senators and Leafs games are continually blacked-out in Manitoba on Sportsnet’s other three regional stations - which, I also pay for. Ridiculous!

Still with hockey, anything short of an appearance in the Western Conference final would be a huge disappointment for the Manitoba Moose. They’ve had a great year – the best on record for our American League team - and a long run into May would help the team’s bottom line and our psyche as a great hockey city.

I’ll admit it, I watch House every Monday night with my live-in date. It’s a small concession considering all the sports I subject her to during the off-season. But I couldn’t help notice all of the hospital-related dramas that fill the television channels on weekly basis. The list includes ER, Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. I’m not sure about you, but I’m sure I speak for the majority in saying I’m not really hip on the idea of dying or being sick to the point of being hospitalized. So why is it then that all the major TV dramas have a hospital as a premise?

One thought on the new proposed football stadium for the Blue Bombers. Whether its final construction will contain a roof, no roof, partial roof or thatched roof - just build it!

As always, I’ll leave you with a funny story regarding one my three kids. Earlier this month Mark and I attended his student-led, parent-teacher conference. Much to my surprise - and certainly going against the lineage on his father’s side - his report card was excellent and his class behavior exceptional. Upon completion of the session, I brought him back to the office for a visit, at which point one of my colleagues asked him what his favourite subject was? His answer: “hockey!” Now, that is my boy!

Peace, out!
-- Paul

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul- the Moose are more Vancouver's team than Winnipeg's. I don't understand why anyone in this city should get excited about a long playoff for those guys- especially while Carolina, Columbus, and Anaheim get to enjoy their very own NHL teams and better hockey than Winnipeg currently has. Yes, I'm a little bitter.

On a positive note, I can't wait for Goldeyes season to begin! I'll be at the Open House May 2nd and Opening Day for sure. There is simply no better place to be in Winnipeg in the spring, summer, or fall than at Canwest Park!

Chuck Duboff said...

Pauly:
Keep up the great work with your son...everything else is drivel...well behaved, doing well in school...that's what counts man...as a teacher, I have always believed that it comes down to the parenting...bottom line!!!
Good work man,
Peace,
Chuck

Anonymous said...

I can't understand why the Canucks aren't feature more in media and blackouts removed for Manitoba since the Moose has such close ties to them. It's ridiculous! We should have every Canucks game on television in Winnipeg, not the stinkin' Oilers or Flames. I like to see the games to follow the ol' Moose players up to the NHL!

Tom Hallick said...

Flames & Oilers games up the wazoo is the reason why I've had the Center Ice package for the last 2 seasons. For a same price per month as a prime ducat to a Moose game, I can regularly catch the Rangers, Stars & Blackhawks and if there's another game that catches my eye, I'll see that too! By the by, you can get the Canucks games (including the PPV's) too!!!

Also, the idea of purchasing Oilers & Flames games on PPV is ludicrous! Why purchase 1 for $12 when you can get say 150+ games in a month for roughly $30/month?

The only way a Flames PPV would be worth the cash is if Roger Millions uttered sock-tucker once more, lol!

In case you're wondering, I'm seriously thinking of getting a mini-pack for the Moose for 09-10.